SINGAPORE, 18 April 2023: Global Citizen Solutions unveiled its 2023 list of the 10 most powerful passports in the world, with Germany topping the chart.
The Global Passport Index, created by data-driven investment migration consultancy Global Citizen Solutions, uses a robust quantitative scoring system to evaluate a country’s investment opportunities, quality of life indicators, and the number of visa-free countries accessible through each nation’s passport.
The top 10 passports ranked in the Global Passport Index are:
2. The United States
5. The Netherlands
7. The United Kingdom
The 2023 ranking, compared with the Global Passport Index from 2022, revealed some interesting changes in the top 10 best passports in the world.
With a total score of 93.7, Germany took the pole position in 2023, taking over from the 2022 leader, the USA. Germany emerged as the world’s strongest passport, performing well in investment opportunities, quality of life, and travel mobility.
Sweden climbed three positions this year from its previous ranking due to exceptional performance in the Enhanced Mobility Index, pushing Canada down to 8th place.
Each index that was evaluated as part of the overall study that ranked Germany on top included:
• The Enhanced Mobility Index (Germany placed 3rd): A German passport provides visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 198 countries or territories.
• Quality-of-Life Index (Germany placed 5th): Germany ranks highly in many aspects analysed in the Global Passport Index relating to the overall quality of life, including sustainable development, freedom, environmental performance, migrant acceptance, and happiness, but it ranks very high in the cost-of-living parameter due to the average costs in the country
• The Investment Index (Germany placed 11th): With a Gross National Income (GNI) of $59.090 and personal taxation of 45%, Germany is the most favourable option for investors.
Each of the three indexes evaluated can be used as a standalone ranking where users can filter results for individual country statistics. The final list was developed in collaboration with senior STI data analysts Roberto de Pinho and Vladimir Lopez-Bassols and is based on data from various institutions and multilateral organisations, including The World Bank, The World Economic Forum and The Sustainable Development Report.
“Our Global Passport Index is a valuable tool for anyone looking to make an informed decision about a second citizenship or simply considering relocation temporarily or permanently to another country. The latest findings are based on rigorous research and evaluation that takes into account factors beyond travel mobility, such as taxation, quality of life, sustainability, and cost of living,” explains Patricia Casaburi, CEO of Global Citizen Solutions
- For more information about the Global Passport Index and the full ranking visit http://passportindex.global/
- *Methodology – The Global Passport Index offers readers key insights on travel mobility and tax benefits when opening a business. Using a robust quantitative scoring system, this methodology determines the attractiveness of a passport using three indexes: (1) Enhanced Mobility Index (2) Investment Index, and (3) Quality of Living Index.