BANGKOK, 30 September 2019: The Tourism Authority of Thailand presented 94 Thailand Tourism Awards that recognise the Thai travel industry’s best and brightest for their excellence in delivering remarkable service and experience to local and international tourists.
Six awards were made in the Hall of Fame, and 88 awards under the Kinnari category were presented by the Minister of Tourism and Sports, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.
The 12th biannual Thailand Tourism Awards 2019 presentation ceremony was held 27 September to coincide with World Tourism Day.
Tourism Authority of Thailand governor, Yuthasak Supasorn, said TAT initiated the biannual awards project in 1996, and specifically organised the awards ceremony on World Tourism Day, as a symbolic gesture of recognition that builds awareness for responsible and sustainable tourism.
This year marks two decades of the Thailand Tourism Awards. Prior to the evening awards presentation ceremony, TAT staged a seminar on the two decades of the Thailand Tourism Awards and a special ‘speed dating’ business appointment for operators of award-winning tourism products and services and travel companies.
TAT also inaugurated the ‘Kinnari Showcase 2019’ consumer fair to enhance market exposure for award-winning tourism products and services among local tourists.
Taking place over the weekend at Bangkok’s Samyan Mitrtown, the event served as a marketing platform for operators of 60 award-winning hotels, resorts, homestays; attractions – natural, community and adventure; and spas and wellness retreats to promote their products and services.
Submission for the 12th Thailand Tourism Awards opened from 1 February to 30 April 2019, and TAT simplified the awards into three main categories comprising 12 sub-segments.
The accommodation category now comprises four sub-segments: Luxury Hotel, Location Hotel, Resort and Design Hotel.
The health and wellness tourism sector now comprises two sub-segments: Spa and Wellness retreat.
The attraction category now comprises six sub-segments: Outdoor Adventure Activity, Learning and Doing, Nature and Park, Fun and Entertainment, Historical and Culture, and Local and Community.
Accommodation category: 26 Awards
- Hall of Fame: Rati Lanna Riverside Spa Resort, Chiang Mai
- Location Hotel sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award: Pullman Bangkok King Power, Bangkok
- Kinnari Award (6 winners): Phanomrungpuri Hotel, Buri Ram; Sivatel Bangkok, Bangkok; The Sukosol, Bangkok; Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang; Krabi; Deevana Plaza Phuket Patong, Phuket, and Ramada Phuket Deevana, Phuket.
- Luxury Hotel sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award (4 winners): Rati Lanna Riverside Spa Resort, Chiang Mai; Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, Bangkok; The ShellSea, Krabi, and Royal Muang Samui Villas, Surat Thani.
- Kinnari Award: InterContinental Hua Hin Resort, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Resort sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award (6 winners): Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan; Ace of Hua Hin Resort Cha-am, Phetchaburi; Siam Bayshore Resort Pattaya, Chon Buri; Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort, Krabi; Muang Samui Spa Resort, Surat Thani, and Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort and Spa, Surat Thani.
- Kinnari Award (6 winners): Nan Boutique Hotel and Resort, Nan; Panviman Chiangmai Spa Resort, Chiang Mai; Baan Talay Dao, Prachuap Khiri Khan; Movenpick Asara Resort & Spa Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan; Ravindra Beach Resort & Spa, Chon Buri, and Rayavadee, Krabi.
- Design Hotel sub-segment
- Kinnari Award: The Riverie By Katathani Collection, Chiang Rai
Attraction category: 45 Awards
- Hall of Fame: Nan Municipality, Nan
- Outdoor Adventure Activity sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award: Flying Hanuman, Phuket
- Kinnari Award (4 winners): Maesa Elephant Camp, Chiang Mai; Banana Beach Koh Hey, Phuket; Amazing Andaman Underwater with Sea Bees Diving, Phuket, and Hanuman World, Phuket.
- Learning and Doing sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award (7 winners): Dhanabadee Ceramic Museum, Lampang; Jinnaluck Miracle of Saa, Chiang Rai, Royal Park Rajapruek, Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Night Safari, Chiang Mai; Khon Kaen Zoo, Khon Kaen; PB Valley Khaoyai Winery, Nakhon Ratchasima, and Roi Et Science and Cultural Centre for Education, Roi Et.
- Kinnari Award (13 winners): Singha Park Chiang Rai; Umbrella Making Experience, Chiang Mai; Chiangmai Celadon, Chiang Mai; Cocoa Valley, Nan; Elephant POOPOOPAPER Park, Chiang Mai; Phu Wiang Fossil Research Center and Dinosaur Museum, Khon Kaen; Khao Yai Farm Village, Nakhon Ratchasima; Baanrimklong Homestay Community Enterprise, Samut Songkhram; The Golden Jubilee Museum of Agriculture, Pathum Thani; PTT Green in the City, Bangkok; Krabi Koh Klang Thai Culture (Anda Krabi Sea Tour Company Limited), Krabi; Tong Tom Yai Homestay, Chumphon, and Museum Phuket, Phuket.
- Fun and Entertainment sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award: Tiffany’s Show Pattaya, Chon Buri
- Kinnari Award (4 winners): Ripley’s World Pattaya, Chon Buri; Alcazar, Chon Buri; Cartoon Network Amazone, Chon Buri, and KAAN Show Pattaya, Chon Buri.
- Nature and Park sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award: Chae Son National Park, Lampang
- Kinnari Award: Tham Le Stegodon, Satun
- Historical and Culture sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award (2 winners): Nan Municipality, Nan, and Phetchabun Intrachai Archaeology Hall, Phetchabun.
- Local and Community sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award (2 winners): Phra Bat Huai Tom Tourism-based Community, Lamphun, and Laem Sak Tourism Community, Krabi.
- Kinnari Award (8 winners): Lotus House by Nutty’s Adventures Co., Ltd., Phayao; Tourism Promotion Club by Ban Rai Kong Ginger Village, Chiang Mai; Wang Krod Old District, Phichit; Thai Retro Market, Ban Rajan, Singburi; Ban Laem Sub-district Community Tourism Group (Mae Suan Land), Suphan Buri; Ban Laem Mangrove Forest Conservation Community Enterprise (Na Tab), Nakhon Si Thammarat; Old Phuket Town Tourism Community, Phuket, and Muang Klong Community Tourism Community Enterprise, Ranong.
Health and Wellness category: 23 Awards
- Hall of Fame (4 winners): The Oasis Spa Lanna, Chiang Mai; Bangkok Oasis Spa, Bangkok; Banyan Tree Spa, Bangkok, and Abhaibhubejhr Training Centre Day Spa, Prachin Buri.
- Spa sub segment
- Kinnari Gold Award (13 winners): The Oasis Spa Lanna, Chiang Mai; Fah Lanna Spa, Chiang Mai; Rarinjinda Wellness Spa, Chiang Mai; Zira Spa, Chiang Mai; Bangkok Oasis Spa, Bangkok, Banyan Tree Spa, Bangkok, Rarinjinda Wellness Spa Ratchadamri, Bangkok; Rarinjinda Wellness Spa Ploenchit, Bangkok; The Oasis Spa Pattaya, Chon Buri; Abhaibhubejhr Training Centre Day Spa, Prachin Buri; Banyan Tree Spa Phuket, Phuket; Oasis Spa (Turquoise Cove Spa), Phuket, and Banyan Tree Spa Samui, Surat Thani.
- Kinnari Award (5 winners): Cheeva Spa, Chiang Mai; Lanna Come Spa, Chiang Mai; Cool Spa, Phuket; Divana Virtue Spa, Bangkok; Wareerak Hot Spring Retreat, Krabi.
- Wellness Retreat sub-segment
- Kinnari Gold Award: Kamalaya Spa, Surat Thani
The Hall of Fame is for winners who have already received three Kinnari Gold Awards in any category. The Kinnari Gold Award is for winners who receive an 85-100% rating of the total rating set for each category, and the Kinnari Award is for winners who receive a 75-84.99% rating.
Winners benefit by receiving a 50% discount when attending the TAT’s travel shows in Thailand and overseas, including the Thailand Travel Mart Plus, World Travel Market in London and ITB Berlin.
They also get additional publicity via TAT’s marketing tools on the Thailand Tourism Awards; such as TAT’s prominent social media channels; namely, Amazing Thailand and Thailand Fan Club, as well as other marketing and media platforms.