Iran to continue to ban US tourists

BANGKOK, 9 March 2017: Despite the US president signing off on a revised travel ban, Monday, Iran’s deputy foreign minister says Iran’s “retaliatory decision” over Trump’s initial travel ban remain in place.

The semi-official ISNA news agency quoted deputy foreign Minister, Majid Takht-e Ravanchi as saying that the measures Iran implemented over the initial Trump executive order last January US entry is “still in force” and that there is “no need for a new decision.”

Iran had previously said it would reciprocate by banning Americans from getting visas to visit Iran, after the country was listed on the travel ban.

Ravanchi spoke a day after Trump signed the new order, which continues to include Iran and five other Muslim-majority countries.

The Iranian minister added that “currently we are witnessing chaos in both domestic and foreign policies with regards the US.”

The new US order goes into effect 16 March giving more time for nations to consider the impact. It also will not apply to visa applications that have already been approved.