No holding Ho back

October 5, 2017 by  
Filed under News, North Asia

HONG KONG, 5 October 2017: Casino magnate Lawrence Ho –  son of Macau gaming legend Stanley Ho –  is eyeing a major foray into Japan as he seeks to broaden his family’s reach beyond the world’s biggest gambling hub.

His father was credited with transforming Macau from a sleepy Portuguese outpost to a gaming boomtown boasting revenues surpassing Las Vegas.

With its myriad shimmering palaces to fortune and fantasy, the city is the only part of China where casino gambling is legal and has become a favourite haunt of mainland high rollers. Read more

China frees Casino sales team

August 15, 2017 by  
Filed under China, News, North Asia

SYDNEY, 15 August 2017: Australia’s Crown Resorts said Monday that China had released all of the casino group’s employees who were detained as part of a gambling crackdown last year.

Mogul James Packer’s gaming company said the last of the 19 current and former Crown employees had been set free after being held for 10 months.

“Crown is pleased that all of our employees have now been released and reunited with their families and loved ones,” executive chairman John Alexander said. Read more

Cyprus sign casino deal

June 28, 2017 by  
Filed under EUROPE, News

NICOSIA, CYPRUS, 28 June 2017: Cyprus signed a deal Monday with Macau’s Melco International and America’s Hard Rock for the construction and operation of the biggest casino of its kind in Europe, a minister said.

The casino resort, estimated to cost EUR600 million (USD672 million), will be the first in the internationally recognised south of the Mediterranean holiday island.

“This opens the road to realising one of the largest infrastructure projects that has ever been done in our country,” said Commerce and Tourism Minister George Lakkotrypis. Read more

China jails Crown executives

June 27, 2017 by  
Filed under News, North Asia

SHANGHAI, 27 June 2017: A Chinese court on Monday convicted 19 current and former employees of Australia’s Crown Resorts company on gambling-related charges, handing jail terms to 16 of them, including three Australians.

The defendants pleaded guilty and 16 were given nine- and 10-month sentences, which include time served since they were arrested in October, meaning they could be released over the next two months.

They were fined a total of USD1.25 million. Three others who were granted bail in November were neither fined nor jailed. Read more

Crown staff charged in China

June 14, 2017 by  
Filed under China, News

SYDNEY, 14 June 2017: Up to 18 staff from Australian billionaire James Packer’s Crown Resorts have been charged with promoting gambling in China, eight months after being detained, the company said Tuesday.

The marketing employees were seized in raids across China last October, including an executive in charge of luring rich Chinese to Australia, as Beijing cracks down on high-roller gambling promotions.

Crown at the time said 18 staff were being held, but did not mention the number in an update to the Australian stock exchange. Read more

Two-way talk on tourism

June 7, 2017 by  
Filed under Laos PDR, News

VIENTIANE, 7 June 2017: Travel operators in Laos will continue to request the Thai government to extend opening hours at shared border checkpoints to promote two way tourism.

According to the Lao National News Agency the initial request was made to Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Minister, Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, last month during a joint Lao PDR-Thailand meeting on tourism.

Lao tour operators want the border to remain open until midnight rather than the present closing time of 2200. Read more

Family suicide in Macau hotel

January 19, 2017 by  
Filed under Hospitality, News, North Asia

MACAU, 19 January 2017: Two members of an Indian family were found dead and two others unconscious in a luxury Macau hotel room Wednesday in what police said was a suspected suicide case.

The father and eldest son, aged about 52 and 24 were found dead, while the mother and the younger son, aged around 45 and 20, were injured.

“Today at 1408, the [police] department received notification that in a certain casino hotel in the Taipa area, three men and one woman were unconscious in a room,” Macau police said in statement late Wednesday. Read more

Manila’s mega casino ready Q1 2017

December 30, 2016 by  
Filed under News, Philippines

MANILA, 30 December 2016: Japanese gambling tycoon Kazuo Okada, who is opening a new USD2.4 billion casino resort in Manila, said Wednesday he hoped to make the Philippines “the next Hawaii” as he looks to expand his business there.

In addition to Manila, Okada said he was also exploring the possibility of operating resorts on the Philippine islands of Palawan and Boracay, both major tourist attractions, in a bid to tap the lucrative Chinese market.

“I would like to make the Philippines the next Hawaii, given that there are a lot of great beaches here,” he told ABS-CBN television in an interview aired late Wednesday. Read more

Crown offloads Macau casino stake

December 16, 2016 by  
Filed under News, North Asia

SYDNEY, 16 December 2016: Australian mogul James Packer’s Crown Resorts on Thursday slashed its stake in a Macau joint venture and shelved plans for a Las Vegas casino in a scaling back of operations to cut debt.

The casino operator, which had 18 staff detained in China in October, also said it would scrap a proposal to spin off global assets.

Crown has been hurt by softening demand in Macau following a Chinese corruption crackdown and will sell 13.4% of Melco Crown Entertainment for AUD1.6 billion (USD1.2 billion) to joint-venture partner Melco International. Read more

Casino raid nabs Chinese

November 30, 2016 by  
Filed under News, Philippines

MANILA, 30 November 2016: More than 1,300 Chinese citizens have been arrested in the Philippines for working illegally at an unlicensed online gaming business, the immigration bureau said Tuesday.

China has expressed concern over the raid at a casino-hotel complex in the northern Philippines and said Manila must guarantee “humanitarian treatment” of those being held.

Some 1,318 people were detained during the raid, 24 November, in Angeles city, immigration bureau spokeswoman Maria Antoinette Mangrobang told AFP. Read more

Next Page »