Sri Lankan bomb hoaxer heads for jail

June 2, 2017 by  
Filed under Aviation, News, PACIFIC

MELBOURNE, 2 June 2017: A Sri Lankan student who tried to enter an airline cockpit with what he said was a bomb before terrified passengers overpowered him, had been released from psychiatric care just before boarding the plane, Australian police said Thursday.

Passengers on Malaysian Airlines flight MH128 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur said they feared for their lives when the 25-year-old rushed towards the cockpit shouting that he wanted to “blow the plane up”.

“He had been released from psychiatric care (on Wednesday), and from there we believe he has purchased a ticket on this plane,” Victoria state police chief Graham Ashton told reporters.

Several passengers wrestled the man to the floor, Ashton said. The crew gave them seatbelts to hog-tie him before the plane made an emergency landing at Melbourne airport.

Armed officers from an elite police unit boarded the flight, handcuffing the man and escorting him off. Photographs taken by a passenger and supplied to AFP showed black-clad officers carrying rifles in the cabin.

The suspect, who lived in the Melbourne suburb of Dandenong and was studying to be a chef, said he was carrying a bomb but the device was actually a bluetooth speaker slightly larger than an iPhone, Ashton said.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the incident was “not currently being treated as terrorism-related”.

“I’m informed the man has a criminal history and has previously been treated for mental health issues,” he said.

The unnamed man was charged with making threats and false claims, and endangering an aircraft’s safety — offences that carry a 10-year sentence. He was due to appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court later Thursday.

Malaysian Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Aziz Kaprawi earlier told AFP the incident was “not a hijack” but involved “one disruptive passenger (who) tried to enter the plane’s cockpit”.

While officials played down the incident, passengers spoke of a terrifying 90-minute ordeal after the plane took off.

Some passengers questioned why it took so long for the elite unit to arrive after the plane landed, complaining they had to wait an hour.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said Thursday that passengers and crew were being offered support after the “frightening” experience.

The incident came just months after Canberra called off the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 after a vast underwater hunt off Australia’s west coast failed to find the plane.

MH370, carrying 239 passengers and crew, disappeared in March 2014, while another passenger jet, MH17, was shot down in July of the same year while flying over Ukraine, in twin tragedies to hit Malaysia’s national carrier.

© Agence France-Presse

Comments are closed.