YANGON, 22 September 2015: Yangon Heritage Trust gives a blue plaque for Lokanat Building in Yangon to distinguish it as one of the city’s top architectural landmarks.
Blue Plaques are permanent signs installed at a public place to commemorate a link between that location and a famous person, event, or landmark/ They serve as a kind of historical marker.
The government official media outlet, Global New Light of Myanmar, quoted the Yangon Heritage Trust, explaining the Lokanat Building was an example of diverse a living environment in Yangon’s downtown and one of the top attractions for tourists taking walking tours.
The building is the eighth blue plaque location after Yangon City Hall, the AYA Bank Headquarters, the Armenian Church, the Central Fire Station, the General Post Office, the Myanmar Agricultural Development Bank and the Central Press.
Built around 1906 by the Jewish Sofaer family, the building housed several of the city’s most prestigious firms, including legal and financial offices, such as the Bank of Burma and the China Mutual Life Insurance Company.
The building also housed the Vienna Cafe on the ground floor. The building was bought by a family of Indian Surti traders and renamed the Randeria Building in the 1930s.
After World War II, the building was transferred into a government building that housed the Forest Department on the top floor and a government store run by Ministry of Industry on the ground floor.
The commemorative blue plaque is part of YHT’s efforts to protect Yangon’s architectural and cultural heritage.